Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shouts

       The other day, when Caesar came back to Rome, Cassius and I were talking. He started to say things that I have somewhat felt in my own breast--heart. While we were talking, the crowd, who were off somewhere close watching Antony run in the race, started to shout. This led me to unknowingly state my fear: that the people of Rome will choose Caesar to be their king. I fear that the man, whom I love as my own brother, will be chosen to be Rome's king and him bringing it to its' own abrupt downfall.

        Cassius seems to agree, to a point. Though he seems to say something, and then contradict it. I don't know. He told me of a story of when Caesar and him went swimming in the Tiber River. He said that Caesar asked him to swim it with him, across. So he did, but before they could reach the other side, Caesar yelled, "Help me, Cassius, or I sink!" Cassius, of course, went back for him.


        Another time, Cassius said, was when the great Caesar had a fever while in Spain. Cassius remembered how Caesar was shaking, groaning, and asked for a drink from Titinius; comparing him to a sick girl.



         While we were talking, there were three general shouts coming from the area in which the races were being held. When it was done, they all came back. We motioned Casca to the side, asking him what had occurred to be so noteworthy.
         He said that Antony had offered Caesar the crown the first time, but he put it by with the back of his hand.
        The second time, he put it by again. Lastly, the third time, he put it by once again, but seemed "he would fain have had it"--I slightly quote Casca.
        Caca also said that after the third time refusing the coronet, Caesar had fallen, having another fit of his falling down sickness.

       After Casca had left us, Cassius had asked me to think about he had said, and the current state of affairs.
     I am very uncertain about this. I have little idea of what would be the best for the great Rome.

     I must sleep upon these thoughts, and so, again I leave you, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment